Welcome, visitor! [ Login


Adult Protective Services

  • Listed: December 12, 2018 4:01 pm
  • Expires: 997984 days, 22 hours


Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) responds to reports from individuals, concerned citizens, social service and health providers, and law enforcement representatives about developmentall disabled adults, physically and mentally disabled adults, and the elderly who may be physically or financially abused, neglected, or exploited.

Anyone aged 18 to 64 with a mental or physical disability or anyone aged 65 or older that is suspected of being abused or neglected, is eligible for APS without regard to income.

Reporting Abuse

Persons interested in obtaining more information or who wish to report adult or elder abuse should call 24 hours a day: 510-577-3500 or toll free at 866-225-5277 (866-CALL-APS). ALL REFERRALS ARE CONFIDENTIAL.

Mandated reporters, those persons required by law to report elder or dependent adult abuse, shall report the known or suspected abuse by telephone (510-577-3500) immediately or as soon as practicably possible, and by written report sent within two working days. Written reports should use form SOC 341, Report of Suspected Elder or Dependent Abuse, available for download from the California Department of Social Services web site. The written report may be mailed to: Alameda County Department of Social Services, Adult Protective Services, 6955 Foothill Boulevard, Suite 300, Oakland, CA 94605; or it may be faxed to 510-577-5615.

Who is a Mandated Reporter?

A mandated reporter as defined in the Welfare and Institutions Code (WIC) section 15630; is: “Any person who has assumed full or intermittent responsibility for care or custody of an elder or dependent adult, whether or not that person receives compensation, including administrators, supervisors, and any licensed staff of a public or private facility that provides care or services for elder or dependent adults, or any elder or dependent adult care custodian, health practitioner, clergy member, or employee of a county adult protective services agency or a local law enforcement agency.”

APS Services

APS social workers investigate and seek to correct situations involving abuse, neglect or exploitation and develop or arrange services to allow clients to remain safely in their own homes for as long as possible. APS works with these individuals, their families, friends, neighbors, and community agencies to provide services and help them maintain themselves in a safe environment.

Types of Abuse

Physical abuse includes:

  • Inadequately explained fractures, bruises, welts, cuts, sores and burns;
  • Pressure or “bed sores” (decubitis ulcers); and
  • Medications used to restrain victims.

Neglect (by self or others) includes:

  • Lack of basic body or personal hygiene;
  • Lack of adequate food or water;
  • Lack of medical aids (glasses, walker, wheel chair, hearing aid, dentures or medications);
  • Lack of clean, appropriate clothing or linens;
  • Demented victim left alone and unsupervised;
  • Bed-bound victims left without proper care;
  • Home cluttered, filthy, in a state or disrepair, or having health, fire and safety hazards;
  • Home lacking minimum equipment and facilities (stove, refrigerator, heat, cooling, working plumbing and electricity); and
  • Animal hoarding.

Financial abuse includes:

  • A lack of amenities that the victim could afford;
  • Victim “voluntarily” giving inappropriate financial reimbursement for needed care and companionship;
  • Caretaker has control of victim’s money but is failing to provide for victim’s needs;
  • Caretaker using victim’s financial resources for their own needs; and
  • Victim has signed property transfers, Power of Attorney, new will, etc., when unable to comprehend the transaction.

Psychological abuse includes:

  • Caretaker isolates victim by restricting visits and phone calls (doesn’t want to let you into home or speak to victim); and
  • Caretaker is violent, aggressive, controlling, addicted, or uncaring.

When an elder abuse victim lacks the ability to resist undue influence due to mental incapacity (such as dementia), a conservatorship may be appropriate. Information on conservatorship is available at the Public Guardian web page.


Disclaimer: The community resource directory information is deemed accurate and up-to-date, however, you should always contact the agency or provider to confirm this information and make an appointment. Be sure to confirm payment information with the provider, if payment is required. We are not affiliated to any of the organizations listed in this app/website. The information provided in this app/site is for the benefit of the community and and we are not liable for any information changed from the date we published this information. Please contact us if you like to make any changes in the information by emailing beracahsites@gmail.com
Listing ID: 3365c1130962b881

Report problem

Processing your request, Please wait....

Sponsored Links