- Listed: December 16, 2018 3:02 am
- Expires: 998705 days, 9 hours
California law requires that each county have a program to assist its low-income residents who are not eligible for cash assistance from other State and/or Federal programs. Calaveras County’s program is called “General Assistance” or “GA.” The GA Program provides monthly loans to eligible persons legally residing in the County who have no other means of support.
Whether or not a person is eligible to receive GA benefits depends on a number of things, including employment status, income, residency, property value, and citizenship status. The eligibility information listed below will give you an idea of whether or not you may be eligible to receive GA benefits. However, GA regulations are complex and eligibility for the program can only be fully evaluated by an Eligibility Worker (EW) at the Human Services office located at 509 E. St Charles St, San Andreas, CA 95249
You may also be eligible for medical assistance through the Medi-Cal program.
You may also be eligible for food assistance through the CalFresh Program previously known as: Food Stamp Program
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Individuals generally must be at least 18 years of age to receive GA. Unmarried minors (under 18 years of age) are not eligible for GA. Persons under 18 who are married, divorced, or legally separated are not considered minors and may be eligible. If 65 or older to be GA eligible, the applicant must be pending SSI or ineligible for SSI and must apply for Social Security benefits (RSDI) and be ineligible for these benefits.
- You must be unemployed, employed with income less than the grant level, or unable to work because of a physical, mental, or functional disability.
- Unemployed persons who are able to work must participate in the County’s Vocations Services Program.
- All applicants/recipients are required to sign an Authorization for reimbursement of interim assistance form at application and when it is required.
- Personal property is limited to $500. Personal property includes bank accounts (checking or savings), stocks, bonds, cash on hand, and so on.
- One motor vehicle, five years old or older with a gross market value of not more than $4,650, may be exempt.
- There is no limit on the value of real property if it is used as your home. If it is NOT used as your home then 6% of the value is counted as income.
All income received from any source must be reported and is subtracted from the monthly GA loan. All GA applicants and recipients must apply for other type(s) of income which they may be eligible to receive. Persons who are entitled to other public assistance programs (like CalWORKs or SSI) are NOT eligible for GA.
Persons who are able to work must be available for, and actively seek, full-time employment. The Employment Services department will assign employable persons to various activities. Employment Services completes and Appraisal, and assigns GA Participants to 3 months of job search. GA Participant is required to submit a weekly job search to Employment Services.
Persons who claim that they are unable to work must provide medical verification and are required to cooperate in planning for rehabilitation as appropriate.
Not all persons eligible for GA receive the maximum loan amount. The loan amount may be lowered if you have other money coming in. Your Eligibility Worker can provide you with the most accurate information.
Vendor Payment for Rent
Verification of housing costs must be provided. The GA rent amount is paid directly to the landlord. This payment is called a “vendor payment” and is reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the State Franchise Tax Board (FTB) as income to the landlord.
Applying for General Assistance
All applicants for General Assistance must apply at:
Calaveras Health and Human Services Agency
509 East St. Charles Street,
San Andreas, CA 95249
Phone (209) 754-6452
Documents You Will Need to Provide
Your Eligibility Worker will tell you exactly which documents you need to bring in to see if you are eligible for GA. The documents will also be needed for the worker to figure out how much you’ll be receiving per month. Couples applying for GA must provide a marriage certificate. The following list contains examples of other kinds of documents you may need to give your Eligibility Worker.
NOTE: A housing verification form and a W-9 form will be included in your packet when you come in to apply for GA. Your Landlord may complete these forms to establish vendor payments. All vendor payments (up to the maximum allowable GA grant) are paid directly to the Landlord
1025 total views, 1 today