- Listed: December 15, 2018 3:12 am
- Expires: 999521 days, 12 hours
Medi-Cal Vision Benefits
Vision benefits are covered for those with full-scope Medi-Cal benefits. For questions regarding your Medi-Cal eligibility, please contact your county social services office.
1. Routine eye exam once every 24 months
- All beneficiaries are eligible for a routine eye exam which checks the health of the eyes and tests for an eyeglass prescription.
- Only beneficiaries under 21 years old and residents of a nursing home receive coverage for eyeglasses (frame and lenses).
2. Other services available:
Contact lens testing may be covered if the use of eyeglasses is not possible due to eye disease or condition (i.e., missing an ear).
- Low vision testing for those with vision impairment that is not correctable by standard glasses, contact lenses, medicine or surgery that interferes with a person’s ability to perform everyday activities (i.e., age-related macular degeneration).
- Artificial eye services and materials for those individuals that have lost an eye or eyes to disease or injury.
3. Types of Vision Care Providers
- Optometrists: are doctors of optometry who preform comprehensive vision examinations, and prescribe eyeglasses and contact lenses. They can also diagnose, treat and manage certain eye diseases and disorders of the eye as well as diagnose certain related systemic conditions.
- Ophthalmologists: are medical doctors and surgeons who specialize in the diagnosis, management and treatment of eye disease. They also preform vision examinations, and prescribe eyeglasses and contact lenses.
- Opticians: are optical professionals who fill eyeglass and contact lens prescriptions.
- Ocularists: are professionals who specialize in making and fitting of artificial eyes for people who have lost an eye or eyes due to trauma or illness.
4. Finding A Vision Provider
- Contact a Medi-Cal provider directly for an appointment. Please visit the Medi-Cal Vision Care Provider List webpage for a list of vision providers and an online directory.
- For other vision program questions, please contact Vision Services Branch at email@example.com.
378 total views, 1 today
Listing ID: 5865c1471121a917